Thursday, April 24, 2014

SEASIDE PEACE

When I think of the word peace, calming sounds are what come to my mind.  When it comes to calming sounds - nothing can beat that of the tide lapping up on a beach, with the soft breeze rustling the sea grasses - just all so soothing! 

So here is my photo of peace: The North Sea!! Taken from behind the sand dunes in St. Andrews, Scotland. It was a warm and not windy day, I might add!


In an attempt to capture the sea breeze and the sound of the tide I used Sparkle N Sprinkle's Set 493: Silhouettes, which till now has been one of my favorite sets. I have to say I am a little partial to silhouette stamps on the whole - and therefore was delighted when another Silhouette Set was brought out - it's with a garden theme, but you'll have to wait till next week for the May 1st Reveal to see that one!



After stamping the scene on Embossable Acetate with Black StazOn, I tried to make the scene look like it was viewed through an old cracked window, as I wanted to use the new Crackle Background from this month's reveal. However, it was too much on top of the scene, so I decided to go with a "crackled" frame instead.

The frame was cut and embossed from a piece of chipboard and then after applying Versamark, I heat embossed with Ocean and Squash embossing powders first. Versamark was reapplied and then Magic Speckle was next. It is best to heat from the underside when using the marbled embossing powders as the white flecks tend to fly off if heated from the top. With the chipboard being thicker, it took a while to emboss this! Vintage embossing powder was used to achieve the crackled background.



The background isn't quite so swirly in reality - but I loved what the camera did here, so kept it!  I wanted to create a dreamy looking background and was able to achieve it by dabbing ink from the Kaleidacolor Creole Spice Ink Pad directly onto an acrylic pad, then misting with water, before placing glossy white cardstock face down in the ink.



The acetate scene was attached to the back of the frame and then I attached dimensional foam to make a well for the shaker card.  I put in some real sand and some micro beads, thinking that when it got shaken it would make the noise of the tide on the beach! Which it actually does! The protective backing was removed from the tape and the inked background was placed over the well, encasing the sand and the beads.



The Chipboard word "Peace" was covered with Versamark and heat embossed with Antiquities, then again with the Ocean marbled powder. I added some Ice Sea Glass Mudd Puddles to the right hand side and attached "Peace" with some Mega Tack Glue to finish off the card.

I'd like to enter today's "Peace" card in the challenge over at the Path of Positivity



Can't you just hear the tide swishing over the beach? Summer will be here before we know it! Yeah!

Remember to stop back next week for our May 1st Reveal - to check out the new Garden Silhouette set. I assure you - you will not be disappointed! OK, I'll be nice - here's a little sneak preview!  



Hope you've enjoyed your visit, see you next week!


Hugs,

Shona

18 comments:

  1. WOW! Shona, this is fabulous! Thank you for the mini tutorial and the fabulous explanations of how your project was put together. It is indeed peaceful and beautiful. I can just imagine you at work in your studio bringing it all together, and the Peace in your soul as you did it. This is beautiful! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do indeed love your very peaceful scene. I think it is so beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally awesome. Just the right amount of everything. I DO get a peaceful feeling just looking at it. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooo beautiful Shona !! You captured the perfect image and created this stunning project !!

    Hugs,
    Mayra

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is truly one of the most beautiful cards I've seen in a long time! If I bought that card I'd never send it to anyone :) You are incredible - I have to sign this as anonymous since I don't know what the other things are but I am Debbie Kay and I am a huge fan of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful creation with nature's peace at its best. This is so perfect for our PEACE theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Path of Positivity DT Member}
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done so many beautiful projects with that image and they're each more stunning than the last! FABULOUS :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project Shoana, I really love it , it's so beautiful !! Great image and great natural effect!!!Great ART!!

    Greetings
    Maria


    ReplyDelete
  9. You really DID capture the look & feel of the seaside with this spectacular card. I loved reading all the effort of each step, as I've never really tried (successfully anyway) the stamping on acetate. Loved the sea swirls you achieved on the glossy. I love this silhouette image and can't wait to see if it's going to be on the month's club kit (hope so!). Well done, and you certainly aced your goal of capturing the photo look. Thanks for your recent help. Not had time to get back to you on the suggestions, but I will! TFS - Hugs - Happy Sunday too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous card, we are in sync with our feelings of peace and waves gently lapping at the shoreline. Thank you for the inspiration and the how-to's. You've inspired me to try it all! Thanks for playing in the Path of Positivity challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shona, I love the way that you have put the sea onto paper... really can feel the ocean rolling in... I really love this look that you have created here... love the crackled look on the edges too... very uniquely created. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shona, I can't stop looking at this card. I love sea. You captured it on your card perfectly. The frame is so awesome. I love every little detail on your project. This is amazing card!
    Hugs,
    Eret

    ReplyDelete
  13. A-FREAKIN-MAZING! Have I ever told you that all your insane techniques and wonderful layers upon layers of detail make me feel as though I have no idea what I'm doing?! *LOL* This is beyond breathtaking! One of my favorites you've ever done.

    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks very unique and beautiful. Stunning work. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done a beautiful job capturing the essence of the beach scene within your card. I myself am most at peace near the ocean or large bodies of water. There is just such a calming influence from water.

    Thank you so much for joining us again this month over on the Path of Positivity. May you always experience the incredible feeling that peace has to offer.

    Regards,
    Lisa D.,
    Owner

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love your project. I just love everything about it. Your stamping on acetate, the mudpuddles, just every thing!! I was trying to vote for you but I cant figure that out?
    Peace,
    KristyLee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, it did go through, my vote did go for your project! Good luck! either way you have an outstanding Art work piece to display!
    Peace,
    KrisytLee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me share in part of your day. I would love to hear what you think about my latest creation!